Jumped the Synapse: Thoughts without sponsors!

These are my thoughts that don't fit in my other blogs. They'll eventually cover a large range of topics.

Friday, July 21, 2006

Sale of Reservoir Lake Lots in B.C.

Dear Sirs:

I read with great interest the recent story regarding the possible sale of government-owned reservoir-lake waterfront properties in our region. I recently read an article in one of the Vancouver papers, stating that waterfront property in the area is skyrocketing, with prices increasing 50% or more over last year. I hope that the Liberal government I voted for will live up to its’ principles of good public administration and open government, by allowing the general public to bid on these lots.

This achieves the goal of maximizing revenue to the government, while allowing all its’ citizens the opportunity to own one of these increasingly valuable pieces of property. Or will the government fail this early litmus test of its’ principles, by offering these lots only to existing land renters – and using appraised or assessed values as the basis for pricing? Will this be the beginning of the enrichment of a few individuals and supporters – a la Enron and WorldCom – at the expense of the people at large, and government coffers in particular?

In my opinion, the only acceptable favour which the government can grant to the existing leaseholders is the right to match the highest bidder. Any other favour, such as pricing by appraised or assessed value, and/or sale being offered first to them, holds the stench of a backroom deal and poor management.

I look forward to being given the opportunity – together with my fellow B.C.ers - to bid on these lots in an open and competitive marketplace.


... another random musing

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home