Jumped the Synapse: Thoughts without sponsors!

These are my thoughts that don't fit in my other blogs. They'll eventually cover a large range of topics.

Friday, July 21, 2006

ADD/ADHD: Does stimulant therapy (i.e. Ritalin, Adderall, etc.) help?

Does stimulant therapy (i.e. Ritalin, Adderall, etc.) help?

Given that a study by Washington State University researchers showed that physician-diagnosed ADHD children will be prescribed stimulant medication between 63% (girls) and 72% (boys) of the time, it’s important to know whether this is helpful.

The answer is, yes, and also, no. The NIH put it this way in their consensus statement:

“As measured by attention/activity indices, patients with varying levels and types of problems (and even possibly unaffected individuals) may benefit from stimulant therapy. These studies … have established the efficacy of stimulants and psychosocial treatments for alleviating the symptoms of ADHD and associated aggressiveness. … Of concern are the consistent findings that despite the improvement in core symptoms, there is little improvement in academic achievement or social skills.”

The largest study of ADHD children ever, the Multimodal Treatment Study of Children with ADHD (MTA study), first reported after the release of the NIH statement, echoed this finding, relating both to the improvement of symptoms, and the lack of improvement in academic or social settings.

It also isn’t known as to whether or not stimulant medication improves other social outcomes, such as arrest rates and drug abuse.

... another random musing

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Nikki Hughes and i would like to show you my personal experience with Ritalin.

I am 51 years old. Have been on Ritalin for 9 years now. I began taking it for depression after my marriage ended, and also in a misguided attempt to lose weight! I lost about 15 pounds at the beginning, had tons of energy, felt great...but the weight loss stopped within a few months.. I currently feel focused and motivated after I take it and am able to get a lot done. As well as the generic ritalin, I take 6 - 12 Tylenol 1 tablets a day. I know how bad this is, but can't seem to stop for more than a few days. The last nine years seem to be a blur...it's like I have lost those years....I hardly remember anything about them. I find this sad and frightening. I take what my doctor prescribed: three 10mg. tablets a day. I have tried many times to completely get off this drug but I now realize that I am truly addicted to it. If I stop taking it for more than one day I become extremely depressed and have very negative, hopeless thoughts and ideas.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
very irritable when it wears off; sometimes difficult to fall asleep, memory loss, hear music in my head that won't stop.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Nikki Hughes

10:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is a great post.I think it will be very usefull to us. I read it but I need some thing more to know about this

Buy Ritalin Online

4:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have no words to express how useful your blog was to me in completing my job work successful. Thanks a lot.

Buy Ritalin

4:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it.

Buy Ritalin

12:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post.

Ritalin Buy

4:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great opportunity to get access to information and articles. Thank you in sharing this info...

Buy Ritalin UK

2:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You are simply the best @the writer i really love your post keep the fire blazing.. Thanks For This post check them Out once am short of content on my Blog.

Buy Ritalin

4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home